Friday, July 21, 2017

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle


I have been a Sherlock Holmes fan for a very long time. I grew up knowing the name and we even had an entire room dedicated to Sherlock Holmes memorabilia. I remember meeting Jeremy Brett at a channel 9 telethon event when I was little. Now I watch over and over Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman in Sherlock.So when my wife said her book club book this month was going to be this one I had to give it a re-read. 

Holmes and Watson are challenged with one of the strangest cases they have faced. A family friend of the Baskervilles comes to Holmes to look into the saftey of the newest resident to Baskerville Hall. All the previous family members who have lived there have found themselves dead due to some strange circumstances. The last one died of complications of heart failure. His heart failed because he was literally scared to death. 

I can see how for it's time, this book could have been considered a horror novel. The story goes that there is an inhuman beast of a hound loose on the moor. This larger than life hound is wreaking havoc on the members of the Baskerville clan and the newest heir is on his way to take up residence. This book has everything. A ghost story, mystery, intrigue, and adventure. This is one of my all time favorite Holmes stories and I was excited to give this what I'm sure will be many re-reads. 

I love this book because the story is engaging and really hard to put down. It also gives Watson a chance to shine. Holmes is in very little of this book and it gives Watson time to show what he is made of in his own investigative skills. Holmes is to busy with other cases to head out to the moor. So Watson takes off on his own to report back to Holmes as the clues develop. Seeing as this is one of my favorite books it is easy for me to give this a 5 out of 5 star rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment