Monday, March 13, 2017

The Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter


I have become a big fan of Karin Slaughter's and this book is one I was anxiously waiting to come available at the library. I have read all of her books and I have to say my favorite characters are Sarah Linton and Will Trent. I love these complex characters and the relationship they have, as messed up as that is. As much as I love these characters Karin Slaughter has written some of the characters I hate the most and this book is no exception. 

This book starts off with a murder and like most thrillers do but the situation around the killing is completely unknown to us. Flash forward and we find little clues that link Will's tortured past to this case. The biggest link is that this case looks to involve his Wife (but not really wife) Angie. I absolutely hate Angie's character. she is a horrible self involved character who only cares about her self and she doesn't care who she destroys in the process of making her happy. So a quick reason why Angie is Will's wife. They grew up together in the orphan system and have spent most of their lives together. Will married her when they were very young and she will not let him divorce her. She comes and goes as she pleases and sometimes for months at a time, but will still waited for her to return. That is until he met Sarah. No Angie does whatever she can to destroy the relationship that Will and Sarah are trying to build. 

All I can say is I was really hoping to not have to deal much with Angie in this book and that would have been great, but she does find a way to continue to drive a wedge between Sarah and Will. Now with all that I have said about the characters and their relationships, I could see that you might thing this is a romance novel with an odd love triangle. Not going to lie, there is a weird love triangle. however this is just the background story. The rest of the book is about this woman who is being controlled by her over bearing violent husband. In order to protect herself and their child she has to do what he says, even when she knows he is raping women with his buddy for fun. The suspense is consistent throughout this book. This one really does grab you from the beginning and never let you go. I have mentioned that I have been in a reading funk lately. The only thing I have been excited to read is the comics I have been reviewing. This book was the first book in a long time that I have been excited to get back to and I didn't find something else to do instead of listening. My previous books I would listen to for a couple hours and then I would listen to music or start a show on my phone and listen to it while I worked for the most part. This book was the first thing I would listen to all day. I did keep up with my Podcasts a few days but that was only an hour of my day and the rest was for this book. 

Like a lot of Karin Slaughter's books the subject matter is some pretty rough violence against women which can be hard to read so here is your warning. That being said, Slaughter has this way of writing a book so well that even though the subject matter can make you sick to your stomach, you still can't wait to turn the page and find out if the scum bag gets what's coming to him. The story is very well written and I highly recommend this read. This book does have a beginning and an end so this is one you could pick up and read through having never read the series, but I wouldn't recommend this. There is a lot about Will and Angie's history and the relationship between Will and Sarah which is good to be in the know on. You really need to at least have read the Will Trent books before this one to really get what is going on. Trust me, if you know the history of the characters you will have move goosebump moments from shock and surprise than you will if you pick this up as your first Karin Slaughter Book. Well, I guess it is time to give you my rating. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. This is well worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment